Wednesday 25 August 2010

crumbs on the floor

Last night was one of the most humbling experiences in my recent culinary adventures. The chilli con carne a week a go that johanna gave a '2' out of ten was not as bad as this.

I was preparing a 'garlic breaded chicken' for me, johanna, and dad, with a side of mash potato and salad. I had just finished preparing the breaded coating, by bashing the crap out of 12 cream crackers and mixing them all with finely chopped parsley, butter and garlic. The whole process took a very tiring ten minutes.

Johanna came over to check on how things were going for me, and before she could finish asking, i had dropped the plate of crumbs i had prepared all over the kitchen floor. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I couldn't start again because i had used all of the crackers. So i had to be creative. Being creative when all you can think about is the moment my cherished plate of crumbs hit the floor is a hard thing to do. Johanna put up with my stroppy-ness and encouraged me to do something different with all the chicken we had just bought.

It turned out very nice in the end. We seasoned the chicken with lemon zest and pepper, wrapped it in parma ham, and fryed it off. Johanna also made an amazing cream sauce which complimented it beautifully. After this i googled 'how to cope with failure' because i was so ashamed with my stroppy reaction.

Failure is feedback. Always rethink and try again with a more focussed and improved attitude.

I wish i had this last night, but i think i will consider this the next time something goes wrong for me.

Peace and love,

Dave x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment